Monday, April 4, 2011

Macadamia Brownies

 
Guess what I found...
 
well, ever since we moved to our new home I have been on the look out for places to buy fresh, local products. 

So you can imagine my delight when one warm Saturday afternoon, the boy and I stumbled upon a local Macadamia Nut Farm.

 It is in the Yarramalong Valley, where one day (I dream) we will buy a leafy block and build a little house. 

They have rows of Macadamia trees which surround a sunny cafe.
 
We spent the entire afternoon there,
 sipping cool drinks and dipping bread in oil and Macadamia Dukkah.

 And when we left I bought a little bag of whole Macadamias.

 The second thing I found, a few days later, was this very cute jug. It was in an op-shop for a dollar.

On the bottom it has a stamp that says 8 oz.

It is the perfect size to use when serving cream.

 And it just so happens, 
that fresh cream is the perfectly accompaniment for warm Macadamia Brownies.


Macadamia Brownies

150 grams of unsalted butter
 200g dark chocolate, very finely chopped
 1 cup of firmly packed brown sugar
 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
 ½ cup of plain flour
 1 cup of whole toasted Macadamia nuts

Preheat your oven to 160˚C
 Grease and line a square, 18cm cake tin.
 Place butter in a saucepan and melt over a medium to high heat.
 When boiling take the butter off the heat and stir in the chocolate until it is melted.
 When the mixture is smooth whisk in the brown sugar,
 then the  vanilla extract,
 the flour,
 …and finally the Macadamias.
 Bake in your oven for about 20 – 30 min until the top looks crisp.

Serve warm with cream or ice-cream.

xx



2 comments:

  1. What gorgeous brownies! I grew up on the Central Coast and only recently through a relative did I learn there was a Macadamia Farm. My family have been on the Coast for 20 + years and never knew it was there! Hoping to finally get there when I visit in two weeks. Lovely website by the way :-) (sorry I can't use my ID on here - Melissa http://www.melissaskitchen.com.au)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Melissa, yes it is a pretty little farm. And great to pick up a bag of nuts to bake with. I loved visiting you blog too - I liked you post about the common-sense cookbook. I grew up making cupcakes with my mum out of that book. xx

    ReplyDelete