Sunday, February 6, 2011

Coleslaw


 

Before you read this post I ask that you would please read the disclaimer.



 
Disclaimer: This coleslaw taste nothing like the white tubs of the same name that you may buy from the supermarket.
I know that those white tubs hit the spot sometimes and that KFC meals would not be the same without them. 
But please believe me when I say there is something wonderful about real homemade coleslaw.





The crisp texture,

 

 the vibrant colours,



…and the smooth creamy dressing that ties it all together.

I made some yesterday to celebrate my big brother’s first visit to our new place.
On such an occasion I would have usually made a fancy cake or some vanilla slice but as it was about 40˚C I decided it was too hot to turn the oven on.
So I went to the deli and bought some leg ham off-the-bone and served it with this coleslaw, fresh bread and cold beers,


...and it was perfect.

Coleslaw
300g of savoy cabbage
200g of red cabbage
1 carrot
3 spring onions.
¾ cup of good quality whole-egg mayonnaise
¼ cup of lemon juice
I tablespoon of horseradish cream

Slice cabbage and carrot into thin strips.
Dice spring onions.
In a separate bowl combine mayonnaise, lemon juice and horseradish cream.
Taste and season as desired.
Then stir dressing into cabbage and carrot.
Top with spring onions and serve.
Makes a salad that could be enjoyed by four people.
Recipe can be doubled or halved.
xx




1 comment:

  1. Nice. Our family has a coleslaw story which is a bit macabre but sweet in its own way - when the first KFC was opened in our area (about 1974) my sister spilt her coleslaw into the armrest on the door, where it all got caught up in the door handle. My father grumped at her but she died a short time later and no one could bring themselves to clean the coleslaw out of the armrest. It was sold whatever period later in immaculate condition, less that armrest. Now, everytime I eat KFC coleslaw I think of my sister, even all these decades later.

    ReplyDelete