Sunday, January 30, 2011

Chocolate Chip Muffins


 I have many memories of learning to cook. I remember sitting up at our burnt 

orange kitchen bench top helping my mum who baked something every week.

At first my involvement was limited to licking the bowl. 


Once I successful in that role I moved on to stirring, soon I was allowed to melt 

the butter and then eventually I began to cook things all by myself.



It wasn’t all smooth sailing though…



There were biscuits so burnt they turned out more like hockey pucks than 
anything edible.


There was the time when I experimented by putting a whole packet of white 

choc-chips (plastic packaging and all) in the oven and baking them for twenty 

minutes...

I don't know what I was thinking? 

 


One time Mum asked to me to make a cake for an important morning tea she 
was attending...

 
I’m still not sure what I did wrong, the batter seemed to shrink and become 

dense not unlike a brick.

I remember that even the dog wouldn’t eat it.




However my favorite never-fail recipe growing up was these amazing chocolate chip muffins. 

They are not-too-sweet and perfect served as soon as they have come out of the oven. 





... and I still remember the recipe off by heart.
'




Chocolate Chip Muffins

 2 cups of plain flour
2 tablespoon of baking powder
1 teaspoon of bi-carb soda
1 cup of chocolate chips
80 grams of butter, melted
1/4 cups of brown sugar
2 tablespoons of golden syrup
1 cup of milk (soured with a tsp of lemon juice)
1 egg

Preheat your oven to 180˚c
Sift flour, baking powder and bicarb- soda together in  a large bowl.
Add chocolate chips and stir.
In a small, separate, bowl combine melted butter, brown sugar and golden syrup.
When the butter is not too hot, stir into flour mixture with egg and milk.
Stir only until all ingredients are combined.
Spoon mixture into medium sized muffin tins and bake for 15 – 20 minutes or until cooked through.
Makes 12 muffins, Recipe can be doubled
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment